Saturday, August 29, 2009

Deadlines

My self-imposed deadline looms.

So far, it's taken me nearly a month to edit a book that took me nine days to write during NaNo. I've added two chapters and eight thousand words with a little over fifty pages (double spaced) to between now and Tuesday.

And I'm about to insert a new scene.

Yes, I do recall having a day off this week, but I really needed it after working on the book for twenty days straight. Of course, that doesn't help with the deadline.

If it's self-imposed, I hear you ask, why stress about it?

Discipline, my young Padwans, discipline.

To finish anything you must have focus; the drive isn't enough. And by setting a deadline, you have goal to aim for. It doesn't have to be a big goal - writing a scene by day's end, a chapter by week's end is good enough. Reach it, and you can reward yourself; fail, and there's that nagging sense of guilt until you do finish. Discipline.

Maybe that's just me, though.

My reward for completing the edits and final read through by EOB Tuesday? Come Wednesday, I get to start editing the second book - and I already have plans for a prologue.

The bigger deadline is to have all three books done by 31 October. We all know what November is - and I've got plans for that, too.

So, enough of fooling around - I've got a deadline.

No comments: