Thursday, August 20, 2009

Progress

Still slogging my way through edits and rewrites, shifting scenes, adding scenes, expanding character roles...

I really want this to be done; not because I'm over it - I like this book - or it's too much like hard work - it is - but I want to get on with the sequel.

So far, nothing I've fixed in this book affects the next one - so far; that, of course, could change in the next week or so.

Some days, progress is achingly slow, others have minor adjustments.

I guess I'm all about fast joyous writing and slow painful edits. It's that ol' seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time. When your mind is full of the story, near bursting at the seams and you have to write it down.

Then it's the initial read through, the wincing at the passives and weird motivations, the shaking of the head and wondering 'what was I thinking?'

Well, this book ain't gonna be done with me on the 'net! Time to write a new scene to make the appearance of a Deus Ex Machina at the end go away. It was a mental leap during the writing that I thought finished everything nicely, only... I didn't give any clues. Not good. Not good at all.

No comments: