Monday, April 20, 2009

The long of it...

I've been busily reading through/editing books this past week - more than half a million words, or five books. Which is why I haven't been around much. I didn't want to read through one, then go back to the beginning, so I continued reading the trilogy, correcting as I went, then a duology, and today I'm back to the beginning for a final check.

It's hard work, enjoyable, but hard. All those characters, the dialogue, the situations kept in the back of the mind. Reading as if it a movie was playing, stubbing my toe on the the little things like eye-colour or name changes.

Still, it's all practice and it's all a learning curve. Rare is the writer whose first book is published, rarer still is the author's first book who scales the best seller list... but it's good to have ambition!

I don't think any writer will say they've perfected their craft - and that's what makes this endeavour attractive: there's always something new to learn.

And now... back to the salt mine... Oh, and I still don't have a title for the latest Nano! It's beginning to piss me off...

No comments: