Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rewind

I see a major rewrite coming up - at least for the first book.

The problem is the goal, oh, and I think I've made it a leedle too easy for the characters.

I'm not saying late 16th Century living was laid back and worry free, but for those with money, it sure beat being a labourer or servant or farmer, or anything else. It was hard then.

So I'm going to give the main protagonist - Isabella - a significant shift in... occupation. No longer will she be lady of the manor, but a serving girl. No more the fine clothes, the good wine and excellent food, but coarse cloth, water or mead, and scraps from the main table. I'm going to shift the time-frame back a hundred years or so, too, and the country, since there was lots of fighting and bitching about who was the king of France at that time.

This is going to affect a number of other characters and to avoid throwing the whole book, it's going to take some sneakiness.

After all, who wants to read a book where life is easy? What writer doesn't enjoy torturing their characters? We're an odd bunch...

No comments: