Monday, September 17, 2007

Reading, Writing, Research

I'm trying not to use the internet on the weekends to try and reduce my broadband bill. With all the research (unpaid) I'm doing for this political organisation, the bill seems to go up and up.

Of course, if I'm on the computer, I have to check my e-mail, check out other weblogs and websites I like to go to, so the research is on top of that. There's so much interesting stuff out there, I can't help myself - I'm so easily distracted by new things...

On the plus side, staying off the computer gave me time to catch up on a leedle reading - and rugby union and rugby league and Aussie Rules and cricket and baseball - and generally relax.

Keri Arthur's Embraced by Darkness was just as good as the previous four and is stacked next to the others, though she mentions on her weblog that some readers are unhappy with the ending, I thought it appropriate. My personal opinion is that some readers should read books beyond the surface. Nope, no spoilers here. Maybe I'll write a post about that.

The only complaint I have about Rachel Caine's Thin Air is that I'll have to wait for next August for the next one! This series is such an interesting and refreshingly new concept. I already had an interest in weather, but this puts a new spin on how it happens and it's so well-crafted... sigh a year is a long time, damn it! I'll have to pick up the Morganville books to read.

Now I'm onto Kim Harrison's For a Few Demons More and the first chapter is a cracker! I'm aware of something... awful happening (see? No spoilers) but I'll wait and see if it's appropriate. Hmmm, I think it isworth a webpost on endings.

I'll have to finish it before I do the short story post this week; then there's the barbarian story I'm working on for the webpage - it's longer than I expected, but that's good - and, if PBW has her October Challenge, I'll need to jot down some plot points for that too, then, of course, it's Nano in November and I'll have to think of something to write for that.

Gee, who knew it was the busy season for writers?

No comments: