Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Wishes

"Be careful what you wish for."

We all know that one, and a lot of people avoid making wishes because of the unexpected consequences. Wish for more money? A favourite maiden aunt dies and there's your money. Wish to pass an exam? A friend gives you the answers and is caught cheating; names you as the thief. Wish someone would die and they do?

We've been taught to 'be careful' when asking for a favour of the god/s. Call it a prayer, call it a wish, in any mythology the fundamental principle remains the same: ask for a boon, but it will come with a price attached. Usually, it's an emotional toll, for we are emotional beings.

I wished that the expected visitors wouldn't stay, but I prepared for them anyway; my mother made the same wish. They didn't stay.

Arriving mid-morning, I gave them morning tea and lunch; then mid-afternoon, they were on their way back to the hotel, even though my mother urged them to stay.

The day was long enough. I had to escape twice from the raucous laughs, spiteful comments, and 'me, me, me' attitude.

I spent my weekend preparing the house, cleaning from top to bottom, including the garden - though I gave up on that when I saw too many eight-legged beasties. We planned meals, entertainment and a few outings. All for naught. Oh, okay, I now have a spotless house and the aching muscles to prove it.

But this wish of ours was granted without cost and I had the added benefit of studying the interaction again between father and daughter - and also of their relatives second hand. I was flooded with thoughts on behavioural patterns, familial interactions, personality disorders and genetic theory.

People constantly intrigue me with their idiosyncrasies and psychological blindness. We all have them, but seeing them in action... no writer could ask for more.

I think it was a one-shot deal, a karmic balancing if you will, and it's up to me to use what I learned. And yes, I'm making notes...

No comments: