Saturday, April 14, 2007

Mooning

I received a package in the mail yesterday: a signed copy of Command Decision by Elizabeth Moon. (And had a little fan-girl squee moment, too - but don't tell anyone, 'kay?)

I'm reading Kim Harrison at the moment, but Kylara is definitely next.

This is the second signed book copy I've got from Ms Moon; the first is Sporting Chance. She signed it at the World Science Fiction Convention, held in Melbourne, way back in 1999 and I had the opportunity to chat for a while. It was a thrill for me because so few international sci-fi authors land on our shores for book tours. People like Robert Silverberg, Jody Lynn Nye, Gregory Benford, Michael J. Strazynski and Terry Pratchett - to name a few - all made the week a memorable one for me.

Terry Prachett loves to tour the country, but I don't like his work - too Monty Pythonesque for my taste - but he's a wonderfully erudite and entertaining speaker. I'm sure there have been others, but they still stick to the major cities: Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth. Even cities like Canberra and Hobart miss out, so there is little hope for the provincial towns.

Ms Moon signed this for me in Sydney and the staff sent it on. I have to wonder how many other fans rang in their orders because they couldn't get to the Galaxy Bookstore?

It's just a little pout, the advent of the internet and author webpages/blogs means fans have a closer connection to authors and most will send signed copies.

Our own authors travel vast distances to conventions and bookstores - only a few make a living writing full time - to sign copies and chat with fans. That's probably the problem: Australia is such a large country and so very far away from America and Europe. It's a major outlay of funds to get to.

Although, that does bring to mind the convention I went to last year in Canberra. Arthur C. Clarke and Ray Bradbury were there virtually - that is, via satellite. It could be an idea for international authors to send pre-signed copies of their work to sell and also do the via satellite bit; almost as good as being there, I think.

I wonder how many authors would be open to the idea?

No comments: