Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The work environment

The challenge, on various writer's weblogs I read, has been to show off work spaces. Some are pristine, some are... not; some are very spare and others are simply a comfortable place to sit with the laptop on the knees.

I don't have a digital camera (it's also not on my list of things to buy), and no photo of my own workspace. My desk is an antique and just fits everything; I'm surrounded by bookcases, cd racks and software boxes and with the stereo speakers above and to either side of my desk. I have two filing cabinets as well on either side of the desk. It's actually quite crowded, but comfortable. This is going to change soon.

I actually went out looking for a hutch for my desk; something to sit over the moniter and printer, for my most used books which are currently in two rows on a coffee table. All that twisting while seated cannot be good for me. What I found was a fabulous lake-size desk. Hand built, solid wood (recycled pine), with an inlay, drawers down each side and a keyboard drawer... sigh. It's just like my Dad's, only bigger. It was on my 'one day' list, and now I can cross it off. Of course, it won't fit where my current desk is, so I'm going to have to rearrange my office somewhat.

The good thing about it is that everything I need will fit with space to spare, including my editor's board. This is a tilted board on hinges that I can raise for more comfortable reading; my sister built it for me. I don't have to bend my neck for hours on end reading a manuscript and doing markups. I can even shove the keyboard under it - a nifty space saving tool. With the new desk, the keyboard will go into it's drawer. Oh, the joy!

The only negative about the desk is that I'll have to wait until April for it to arrive. The back order list is that long.

Why did I buy a desk when I have a perfectly good one? In my defence, I can only say it was like when I went out to buy a lawn mower and came back with a microwave - it just happened. Call it Karma, fate, or simple distraction for a beautiful piece of furniture, but that sucker is mine, half price, too.

(Oh, no, I can feel a gloat coming on. Better shove that aside.)

Work environments aren't supposed to be important to writers, we need to be able to work anywhere, and that's true, to a point. The new desk won't make me writer faster, or better, but it will make me feel more comfortable, once I get past the 'mwahaha! Mine, mine, mine!' stage.

Now, all I need to do is find the right chair for it... I'll probably come back with car racks...

No comments: