Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It's 'its'...

I read. A lot; weblogs, books, newspapers, articles, short stories. I also write critiques for people. As an editor/writer, whatever, I don't just read for enjoyment, but for errors and there are a few out there that are creeping into everyday texts.

Some are easy to see, others not so easy. A few examples that I see more and more:

Its or it's. This one is remarkably simple. It's is a contraction of 'it is'. 'Its' is a possessive noun. To remember where and when to use it, think of this: 'It's 'its' except when it's it's'. (It is 'its' except when it is 'it is'.)

Than or then. This is one of my bugbears. I don't get the confusion of use. Rather than, not rather then. 'Then' is time oriented, 'than' is an alternative. Everything blurred, then steadied. Or: His chuckle came out more hiss than laugh.

Effect or affect. Effect is usually used as a noun, it means a result of an event; affect is a verb. A bee sting will affect you; the effect of a bee sting may be pain.

These three common mistakes can ruin a perfectly good story. Worse, it can teach bad habits to readers. Writers have many technical books, none more important than a good grammar and style book. If in doubt, look it up. The English language is complicated enough without bringing errors into it. Yes, it's constantly evolving, it's that kind of language, but being lazy is no excuse. Although... are we becoming so lackadaisical that it's beginning not to matter as long as the sense of what we're trying to say is understood?

3 comments:

Nurse Briana said...

Hi Miss Jaye! Let me be so bold as to say, you have a great blog here.

I agree with these three common errors and believe that the easiest one to be corrected is "its" and "it's". Why? Because, since "it's" is a conjunction it *should* remind people that it's a combination of two words rather than one.

Personally, I'm not much of a grammar fan, so "it's/its" is the only one that bothers me. However, I see your point - writers should set an example and use words in their proper context

~Sapph

Gabriele Campbell said...

Oh yes, those wandering apostrophes, the their/they're/there confusion and the then/than mess are so my pet peeves.

Douglas Hoffman said...

Don't forget lie/lay. Lots of great web resources for that one.