Sunday, January 15, 2006

Read... Write

I've put a list of what I'm reading/read/will read on the sidebar. I've done this for a number of reasons. First, to keep track of what tempts me throughout a year; second, some of them are by my favourite authors; third, some of these writers lift my ambition to write better; and fourth, to write effectively an author has to read.

I think it was the great Nora Roberts who suggested that reading be considered research - up until I read that, I consider reading a guilty pleasure that took me away from writing. Now, it's research. Of course, like anything else, you have to know when to stop. I have a lot of bookcases filled with novels I'll re-read, if only to give me that lift and think 'wow, I wish I could write like that', followed by 'hmmm, that gives me an idea'.

It's a question that authors get all the time: "Where do you get your ideas from?" The simple answer is 'everywhere: books, half heard conversations, odd events, world politics, newspapers, dreams, even a line from a song.' From the last, I wrote a Nano of nigh on 150,000 words.

Every writer finds their own way, either on their own or helped by others. It's what makes sites like Forward Motion so important. Weblogging is also important. Blogs make recommendations and those who read the blogs are immediately tempted by what their favourite author is reading.

To aspire to write like a particular author is flattering, I think, and every writer has their own style. For most authors, their style is a blend of who they read as a youngster and their own voice to create something new.

The more we writers can encourage people to read, the bigger the audience. It might be stating the bleedin' obvious, but it cannot be overstated. Witness JK Rowling, Steven King, John Grisham and other luminaries. I would also add another comment, and that is that reading increases your vocabulary and teaches you about something you might not have otherwise investigated.

I love being a writer; it's not a job, nor is it work, for to say as much is to suggest it's less than satisfying. And that would be wrong. I love the worlds others create for me, the characters, the problems and the solutions. Some are well written, some are not, but they are all entertaining in some way. Better yet, I like to think I fall somewhere in between, and one day, I'll share my worlds, the characters, the problems and solutions with a broader audience.

Maybe that will be my year's goal: to post exerpts; it's time.

No comments: