Monday, November 07, 2005

Getting into the slog

I finished the weekend at 41k and some extras. I have written, over the two days about 21k. And yes, it was tough. The hours slipped away while I struggled with words, with scenes, with what happened next, with the damn characters themselves.

The amount of words written give lie to just how difficult it was. There isn't really an outline for this book and I haven't looked at the cards. I will, but later, when I do a reverse construction as a precursor to editing. I just can't set a book up that way (probably why editing takes so long, too). But that's the way I work.

My characters are growing, kind of in synch. The more evil the bad guy, the more genius the protagonist and the more nasty her childhood. The lurve interest is just there, not developing much, except for the ubiquitous emotional growth. I think he needs more; he needs something to get him going... and I have just the thing, mwahaha!

Okay, so I'm slogging my way to the 50k point, but that won't be the end. The end will be when the book is done, hopefully by the time 1 December comes around.

My aim is another 4-41/2k tonight and again tomorrow. I'll be able to relax once the objective has been reached. So, to horse...

1 comment:

Rochelle Ferris said...

Hi Jaye, I definitely need to do some back-tracking about this book of yours. I've often thought about writing a book, but there's just not enough motivation to go around!

FYI, lol, the scab fell off my blister, you wouldn't believe it, ON THE HOME to get ready on friday night. All the planets must have been aligned or something, it was scary.

Thank for dropping by!