Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Champion

Today is Melbourne Cup day. A public holiday in Victoria where it's held, and a virtual afternoon off for everyone else. It is truly the Race that Stops a Nation. It is also, arguably, the toughest horse race in the world.

Race horses from around the world come here to compete, to win the tri-handled trophy and five million dollar prize. They come from Ireland, England, New Zealand, Japan and the great Godolphin stable.

History was made today, by an astonishing mare: Makybe Diva. The greatest horse the southern hemisphere has ever produced, and I include Phar Lap in that. For the first time, a horse has won the Melbourne Cup three years straight.

Think Big was the last horse to win it twice and that was back in 1975/76. Thirty years on, the Diva has taken it for a third time. A feat that shall remain unparalleled for decades to come.

All hail the Diva!

(Shame I didn't put any money on her... not even in the office sweeps.)

* * *

Okay, accolades aside - and I'm still staggered by that triumph - today also marked the beginning of the National Novel Writing Month, or NaNo for short.

As you can imagine, it was a tough day to get anything done. Work, horse racing sweeps to organise and trying to get a few words down on my new book.

Most of what I've written has been after work, and for that I guess I should thank Daylight Bloody Savings. I've been sitting here typing away on a murder scene while the sun is still in the sky. Now it's going down and I have just over four thousand words. Not a bad start, but there is a long way to go. I have no doubt there will be a lot of frustration, but if I keep my mind on what's going on, I shall be fine.

The only trap I see is to get to involved in the killer's head. He's a twist fuck, but aren't they best? All reasonable and calm, charming and charismatic, I like him. I'm having problems with my other characters though. For some strange reason, I identify more with the killer than the catchers.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing. I'll post something soon.

No comments: