Friday, November 04, 2005

And we're off

I've been pretty busy the past few days, with work and with the Nano, but I think I'm off to a good start. I have just over 14k for three days work. Not up to my usual manic standard, but I do have a job this year.

It's unfortunate that there are also the usual wankers out there posting unreasonable totals and flat out lying. This pinheads are usual young adolescents who think it's funny to fuck up the statistics and people's aims to accrue a legitimate spot on the leaders boards.

I'm not so pissed off about it as I have been in previous years because I just cut them out of my calculations. I can see who the honest writers are, and it's not those who cheat and post that they've virtually written a book in three days. No, I'm sorry, that's just not happening.

Many writers are trying hard to get the work done and it's pitiful that there are others trying to take away that achievement.

There's plenty of time for the genuine participants to get going. Many already have, me included. I love this challenge, and this weekend, Forward Motion is holding a marathon. It will have these word fests every weekend until the end. It's a great mechanism for people who need that extra push to do the words.

For me, it's the extra push to get closer to the end of the book, as long as I can concentrate on it. Of course, real life has a habit of getting in the way, but I'm going to do my level best not to let it. Hah!

People should know not to contact me during November, it's just... wrong, and I'm not in the best moods when interrupted. Still, I may venture a conversation or two, decide I'm done with them and get back to it.

That's a writer's life. Focussing on the book, not necessarily live people. Ah well, we're an interesting breed, otherwise, what on earth would you read for entertainment? The newspaper? The TV guide? Your kids' homework?

From Nano, can sometimes come great things. I hope so.

No comments: