Friday, September 03, 2010

Ooo, shiney! Ooo, kitty! Ooo, is that...?

I’m ‘zawsted, positively wrecked. And it’s only day two.

Day one was me awake at 4.30am, running around making sure I had everything for a 6.30 am flight to Melbourne. Then, locating the hotel – close to Spencer Street Station, cool. Ibis, for those who care and they were nice enough to have a room ready at 8.30 in the am.

So. I dump my gear and go off exploring. And did way too much of it; about five hours worth. The knees weren’t terribly happy with me by the time I sat down. Anyone who’s had knee problems will know what I mean when I say they were twitching.

First up, Minotaurs in Space Helmets: using myth in science fiction. For most of it, I thought I’d dropped into an alternate reality – lots of existentialism. But two things resonated: that Norse mythology doesn’t have dark-skinned gods, nor to African mythology have white-skinned deities. The other thing was the similarity in primitive myths, but if you ask about ‘foundation’ myths, as if there’s something lacking if your culture doesn’t have one, then one will be created – true or not. It bears more consideration.

If You Wrote It, They’d Never Believe It was also interesting, if only because one of four panellists turned up. Jonathon Walker, a WorldCon newbie, did an admirable job keeping the crowd entertained, while constantly glancing at the door hoping, nay praying someone else would arrive.

After that, I considered myself trashed and went back to the hotel for an early night.

So, today. The knees seem fine, but I know they’re lulling me into a false sense of security. I started the panels with What We Publish followed by Keeping Pace: maintaining momentum and The Baen Travelling Slideshow (with Prizes!) I really enjoyed it – especially grabbing two cds of books I haven't read yet. The awkward moment came courtesy of David Freer whom Toni Weiskopff announced was now an Australia citizen. Dave felt the need to lean over the microphone and say ‘G’day’... poorly. The Americans cheered and applauded; the Aussies sat in embarrassed silence.

It’s a cultural thing.

Last thing of the day was an entertaining hour of In Conversation with Seanan McGuire and Catherynne M Valenta.

It’s been busy and a lot of fun. So since I manage to hunt down (and I do mean hunt, I can’t tell you how many bookstores I searched) a copy of S.L. Viehl’s Dream Called Time, I’m going to put my feet up. Gotta 'nother busy one tomorrow.

No comments: