Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Past, present, future

I'm back from my sojourn to Canberra and looking after the kidlets while their parents went off to Taswegia - otherwise known as Tasmania for the long weekend.

As usual, I bought the weekend edition of The Sydney Morning Herald and you could have knocked me down with a feather to see a woman I went to university with on the careers page. I mean... wow. This is a widely read newspaper!

She's the founder of Vision Walks, a bushwalking enterprise you can do at night to see what the Australian bush has to offer at night. Too cool!

It's a little odd to see someone you know in the public eye like that - especially when she and I played soccer together at uni and had some... uh... well, students will drink alcoholic beverages and get up to some shenanigans! But telling you more than that would only incriminate me.

It's all the more curious on top of the recent e-mails from high school chums. I can't decide whether it's just a 'this is how your contemporaries are doing', or fate saying 'pull your finger out and do something!'

I like to think it's the latter and with Nano only three weeks away, the book I have in mind is starting to gel. I have the opening scene with dialogue and the four characters involved. Good guys, bad guys and an ongoing plot line. Feels like I'm almost ready.

Sometimes, I guess, you need a kick in the right direction with a reminder of the past.

2 comments:

Marina said...

Maybe the universe is telling you that this Nano is going to be the one that starts you on the road to fame and fortune. Sounds like you're well prepared, at least!

Jaye Patrick said...

Um... well prepared? I'm not, not really. I have an idea and as an organic writer, hope the idea has legs enough for 50k - that's where the buzz is.