Friday, October 03, 2008

Giving up bad things

It's the Labour Day long weekend here and I'm in Canberra looking after C. and D.'s kidlets while they have a mini-holiday in Tasmania. I drove up yesterday and the countryside is really pretty early in the morning. Since it's Spring, sunrise means about 5.30 am. I left at just after six.

I confess I stopped, half an hour from home, at Mickey D's for coffee and bacon and egg muffin for breakfast. I am hangin' my head because, damn, it was good and I'm not supposed to like it. Is anyone?

Anyway. I'm driving along - it's a three-hour drive - over the mountains (okay, two) and thinking I could do with another coffee. Flat white this time, not a cappuccino.

Conveniently, there's another Mickey's out on the highway, another hour away - and according to the Government campaign, if you're driving long distance you should always take a break every hour or so to avoid fatigue: Stop, Revive, Survive. (That's my excuse an' I'm stickin' to it.)

On the radio, the day's horoscope is announced. "Gemini: it's time to give up something that's bad for you."

Well that could mean a whole lotta stuff and I ignored it. I pulled over, got my standard-size, extra-shot chap-a-kino, set it in the cup holder that's attached to the air vent and off I went. I'm zipping along the highway, obeying the speed limit and then... and then... and then... the cup holder broke.

After four sips. I nearly caught it, but I think that might have made things worse. Nah. It all missed me, but it sure didn't miss the floor. I had visions of white coffee streaming from the under-carriage and those behind me thinking I'd sprung a leak.

No more coffee houses on the way, either. sigh And it's all squelchy when I rest my foot. It was a definite mourning moment.

So, my daily horoscope? I'm giving up arising so early in the morning...

2 comments:

Bri said...

lol - nice. The adjective "squelchy" is absolutely terrific. I laughed. XD Sorry for the mishap though. Horoscopes are...guidelines.

Jaye Patrick said...

It's a good word... squelchy. Says it all.