Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Rejection

It works on the subconscious, I'm sure. Rejections, the good and the bad. I've been lucky, I've had some terrific rejections (is that an oxymoron or what?).

Two more turned up from Shadowed Realms, an online flash-fiction e-zine that deals with the darker side of life and people.

The editor, Angela Challis, was kind enough to give me pointers and advice on how to improve my writing. That, of course, will always take away the sting of being rejected, especially when the letter includes advice to send the two stories to overseas markets.

*sigh*

I have a confession to make.

The kind of 'dark' fiction the magazine is hunting for isn't my genre. I get that now. When I wrote the two pieces, I was sure it was just right. It was the mood I was in. If I'd looked closer, neither story had that... emotional bite. That sudden, dramatic, breath-taking moment required.

That is not to say either story is bad, just wrong for that particular market. The confession part is that I knew they weren't right - at least on a subconscious level - and I sent them anyway.

I think there is something comforting in sending work to home-grown markets first. You know, it's better to be rejected by the familiar than a big, bad, bruising stranger of an overseas market. Of course, that could simply be a figment of my imagination - or a hierarchical perspective of the publishing industry, both here and overseas.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's because Angela sent a kind and helpful letter, where an overseas publisher simply said, "Nuh, not our thing." They were more polite... okay, it was 'not a good fit for our anthology'.

The upshot is that I didn't focus on what was required enough; and I should have. Although why I've been submitting to such markets when I know damn well it's not my genre, I have no idea.

The best thing I can do now, is thank Angela for her time and effort and search out more appropriate markets for my work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your writing, therefore, by definition, it is not dark. I don't just dislike dark fiction, I can't read it. Literally. Dark fiction repulses me so much that my visceral reaction is to throw the book out on the spot (in the few times I've mistakenly bought it). I enjoy reading stories by Jaye Patrick, therefore, she doesn't write dark fiction. So cheers on your rational response to realizing it was the wrong market, and good luck with the next submissions.

Jaye Patrick said...

Thanks, April, sometimes light bulb moments come after you've done the work.

Nothing is wasted, though, and I'm sure there are markets out there just waiting for the stories.

Maybe there's a light-dark magazine?