Friday, July 21, 2006

Going to Market

I have a reasonable selection of short stories and novels I've written.

On the advice of an editor, I took myself off to the markets. You know the one: it's down on main street and it's called Ralan's Webstravaganza. It's wonderful. Full of noisy marketeers and hawkers and entertainers and grifters, resplendent with the gawdy and the beautifully coloured tents, with people presenting their wares, some tacky, some funny, some long, some short, some flash and some immaculately crafted as to have stall holders falling over themselves to have.

For me, a newbie, this market is confusing, astonishing and awe-inspiring. I feel like a country bumpkin come to town. I've waded my way through less than half the market, peeking into anthologies, e-zines, podcasts, and book publishers and I still don't know where I am or what I'm doing.

I'm trying to look at my own wares to sell and wonder which market goes with which product; whether my work is good enough, original enough, well-crafted enough. I'm expecting some outright 'no's', some curious looks, some interest, some blankness and, hopefully, some smiles and welcomes.

Here, in my own little world, it's safe, with no pickpockets, no glares, no nasty comments, but it's also familiar. Out there, in the market, there's a whole lot to see and do and buy and experience and, ultimately, learn.

So far, I've taken baby steps on this journey to this new and magical market place. Now, it's time to explore.

I'm determined to be accepted here, find my own niches and expand my horizons. It's going to be tough, but I think I'm ready for this. Who knows? You may see my work coming to an anthology, e-zine, podcast or bookstore near you.

No comments: