Friday, June 16, 2006

Happy Birthday to...

ME!!! Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday dear me-ee... Ha-aappee Birthday to me-ee!

Yep, it's that time of the year where, for one day, there is no guilt about what I eat or do. This morning it was Belgian waffles with mandarin slices and Chantilly cream; mmm... delish. Usually, I have pancakes with fruit and yoghurt, but a) I couldn't be bothered making them, and b) the local shop didn't have any either. So it was waffles. So sad, too bad... heh.

The whole idea of birthday's I think is becoming lost. Yes, it's an alleged special day filled with prezzos and good wishes, but the celebrant can feel overwhelmed by the attention, make themselves sick on all the sweet food, and have to be nice to relatives who give gifts but who otherwise wouldn't talk to you in a pink fit.

Let's not forget the cheek tugging ("My, haven't you grown") by corpulent, red-faced aunts, the slaps on the back guarranteed to dislocate a vertebrae or two by robust, pot-bellied uncles who eye you with a gleam in their eyes, the grandparents smelling of lavender or old spice watching with love out of faded eyes.

Then there's the other side. When no one remembers. Eek! Those insidious thoughts appear: why hasn't anyone remembered? Am I that forgettable? Does no one care?

My elder brother has never recovered from turning forty some five years ago; he gets real snarly if you should dare wish him a happy birthday. A present? Only if it is a long held wish or want of his.

My eldest sister has plans to go to Paris for her fiftieth; and so on with my siblings.

I'm thinking, "why wait to go to Paris?" and "Geez, pal, grab the presents and run!"

My birthday is all about me: what I do to celebrate, if I celebrate at all. If others wish to join in, they are welcome, otherwise, I'm gonna choose what I eat today, be it fattening, soaked with cholesterol, terribly good or bad for me. Today, I'll choose what I do... okay... outside of work.

The result of all this is that I have the birthday I want, not what others want for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's not quite Friday here in Oregon, so technically I'm not late in wishing you A Very Happy Birthday! and someone you love to share it with, and what you want most for your birthday present.

Jaye Patrick said...

Thank you Panda. I stuffed myself with my favourite foods, had an ordinary day at work - heh, no one remembered - and was distinctly covered in smug. Had a long conversation with my twin sister and my younger sister whose birthday is the day before.

For this one day of the year, no-one can piss me off. I've found that centre of well-being and contentment; my one wish is that stays with me, no matter how old I get.