Saturday, October 08, 2005

A Web of Evil

I'm currently researching my Nano and the history on my internet looks very, very suspicious. I've gone from stalker sites to serial killers to criminal profiling to maps of small towns to photographs of streets to local weather. I've downloaded articles and street maps like a 'how to' list.

The scary thing is, I found my own street from two sites not based here. The phrase 'I can see my house from here' takes on a new meaning. I'm sorry to say... it was a lot of fun finding the information I need. Of course, I'm not done yet. The mind of a writer is just as dangerous as the perps written about.

If I can find the information, anyone can. The questions swirl, the plan evolves, but, in this instance, I shan't be going out to test my theories on stalking, to see how it's done myself. I'll settle for reading about it and using my imagination.

The difficulty in writing this book, is that I've never been to that particular state in in the U.S. A lot of the others, yes, and they would do just as well. But a nice isolated, low populated township - or two, three, four - is just what I need. Writers can be scary people. They can take on the characteristics of the bad guy, they can take on the personality of the good guy, the bystander, the victim, the enemy. They are, in an intellectual way, nuts; crazy people who talk to themselves, carry on conversations, sneak about, test weapons, argue with themselves, fight themselves or try to get family members to do so. We are an incomplete set of marbles - and we love it.

I'm creeped out by the coldness of my planning, but I'm also sprinkled with smugness at the cleverness, at the total lack of concern.

It's early stages yet, though. The whole thing might be too effective, or has plot holes a pantechnicon could drive through.

Yeah, writers are scary people who troll through the muck and mire of human depravity or the Elysian Fields of mankind's purity, for inspiration and creativity. No wonder I love being one.

Tomorrow, the week-long Forward Motion Outline Challenge begins. I'll let you know how the Stalker Plot progresses.

No comments: