Sunday, October 09, 2005

Characters as people

I rarely do outlines for books, and when I do, they don't resemble the finished product. I've usually deviated within the first three chapters of actually writing the book.

This time, it has to be different. The book is complex and I'll need pointers. Eventually, the twists and turns won't surprise me but I hope will surprise the readers. I'm not concerned about that - though, perhaps I should be. What I don't want to happen is the deviation. What I have in mind is a terrific idea that twists the stalker/woman-in-jeopardy premise (and, no, it is not the atypical stalker story; I'm not telling any more).

So far, I've managed to write down the principles of outlining: the mood, the setting, the characters strengths and weaknesses, their moral codes, the evolutions, etc. I don't want them to be two dimensional characters. I don't want my villain to be unlikeable, nor my protagonist unsympathetic. And there in lies the difficulties of writing modern fiction: villains aren't your typical bad guys anymore. They have wants and needs, too; they have ambitions, joys, hurts, the whole kit and kaboodle, except... they must have or do something that is reprehensible, must have something wrong with them that is socially unacceptable.

They might be wonderful people you'd like to know, except for that one, disturbing element. That's the kind of villain I'm going for.

It's the same with the protagonist. They, too, might be wonderful, except for a peccadillo or two, except for a dark secret, except for a personality flaw. That's the kind of protagonist I'm going for.

The difference between the two is as simple as it is complex: one is redeemable, the other is not.

With thoughts of both characters swirling, I'm hoping to blur the line between the concept of good and evil.

I can't wait to start writing this book - it's the same with all I've written - but this time, I have to pace myself, I have to keep in mind the endgame, and I have to have an outline to guide the way for me. I'd better get to it: the sooner I have the outline, the sooner I can tweak it and get ready for November 1.

No comments: