Sunday, October 31, 2010

Zero hour approaches

I can feel the countdown to Nano. Be it in thinking about the novels I'm writing or the simple idea of Nano, it's all in the back of my head while I'm doing other stuff. "Like sands through the hourglass..." the time is trickling away.

Anxiety levels are rising for those who still have to come up with something to write and the anticipation is palpable for those who know exactly how it's going to go. I have a foot in either camp. Will it work? Will the books be worthy of the characters? Have I taken on too much, again? Will the keyboard survive?

Come midnight tonight, I'll be snoozing - I just don't have it in me to stay up to start Nano; finish it, yes, but not at the beginning. Sleep is important. Sleep is good. I like sleeping. But... I'll be up at sunrise, pounding away at the keyboard like thousands of other nano-ers around the globe.

That's rather amazing when you think about it. A hundred thousand plus people, all not talking - a wave of silence circling the world, bent over keyboards and writing the most incredible stories. An infinite well of creativity tapped for a whole month. Muses of all shapes and colours, spread out over continents dictating terms to writers. Ships of aliens, bouquets of romance, beds of erotica, holsters of westerns, shadows of horror... a flood of prose gushing from the imaginarium of collective consciousness... O_o

Okay, obviously I haven't had my morning coffee. I'll just, you know, go and make one, get on with thinking up something for the third book...

No comments: