Friday, October 08, 2010

Tomorrow, when the war began

I took the teens to see Tomorrow, When The War Began. It’s based on the best selling series by Australian author, John Marsden.

The story revolves around a group of teenagers who go camping in North Queensland for a weekend. When they return home, they find everyone incarcerated at the local showground and that the 'Asian Coalition' has invaded Australia.

This isn't a Disney-esque series or film, it's real, sometimes violent and heart-breaking. There is nothing patronising about the situation or the way the characters react, especially when it comes to moral dilemmas. A lot serious, a lot Australian, it has moments of humour. The film suffers from a bit of newbie acting in parts, but overall it is a brilliant local production, one I hope does well in the overseas market.

Each of the characters will appeal to the teenage crowd - adults don't appear much in this. When they do, the tension ratchets up until you're leaning forward in your seat, wondering what the teens are going to do against armed soldiers.

Tomorrow, When The War Began got the big thumbs up from the kids and me. It's an excellent movie.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

I went and saw this with my daughter who had studied it as part of her high school English reading 2 years ago. I had also read the book and really enjoyed it but wasn't expecting too much from the movie as the book is pretty darn good. Well, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, as did my daughter (who has read the entire series including the Ellie Chronicles and just loves this book series. The actors played the characters well and the action scenes had me on the edge of my seat. I hope it continues to do well at the box office as its good to see an Aussie movie be so successful, and deservedly so

Jaye Patrick said...

I now have the books to read (I bought them for my niece and she loved them - including the Ellie Chronicles).

It has parallels with 1984 movie, Red Dawn, which I also loved.

As soon as I'm done with The Hunger Games trilogy - and the editing of my own work, I'm squeezing them in before Nano!