Thursday, June 18, 2009

Happy Endings

Sure, it's been two years since it was shown in the U.S., but I saw the documentary "Who's Afraid of a Happy Ending" last night.

An excellent program on the world of writing romance. It had interviews with the luminaries of the field, Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber (knitting), Eloise James, Jennifer Cruisie and Kayla Perrin, as well as people in the publishing industry and what they're looking for. Also of note was the aspiring author, Kelly Boyce and her attempts at snagging a contract. From the look on the agent's face when she read out a prepared precis, I don't think it got picked up.

Anyway, the whole program was fascinating, with different book covers slide-showing as the doco moved from one part to the next. I was rather chuffed that Lynn Viehl's Dark Need popped up.

I was surprised by how many of the books I'd read, and that some of those books are on my keeper shelf.

One thing though: I noted that one editor called Kayla Perrin an Af-Am. I know it stands for African-American, but I thought we were beyond the ethnicity of a writer? I don't care what the heritage is as long as a writer produces a good read... or is that just me?

* * *

Oh, and I posted another story over on The Takeaway.

No comments: