Friday, June 12, 2009

Global Village

It always interest me to find out where people come from who read my stuff. Is that vanity? Or curiosity?

With the advent of the internet, the world has become a much smaller place. I remember reading books B.I. (before internet), and imagining the author in the study, bashing away at a typewriter or writing long-hand; with male authors, they'd have the ubiquitous pipe in the corner of the mouth. I could see it all so clearly...

Anyway, after B.I., I began searching for authors and struck upon Holly Lisle's first site - it was the first time I actually contacted an author and I was thrilled. It was a real OMG moment. From there, it was Nora Roberts and others. The replies I received settled in my mind that authors were... friendly people and not how I imagined them: isolated, grumpy, or pompously protecting 'the work'.

So I've checked one of my pages - and I really must consolidate them - to see where readers are in the world.

Imagine my surprise by the less than typical countries of America, Australia, South Africa and England. Countries like... Burkina Faso, Bangladesh, Bahamas, Kenya, Thailand, Lithuania, Dubai, Malta.

I'm absolutely chuffed that my stories are read world-wide, but it certainly brings the world closer together.

No wonder it's called the 'Global Village' rather than a Global state, or city or town.

No comments: