Wednesday, June 04, 2008

On the road

Now that I'm back and with reliable internet access, I thought I'd drop in some posts of my trip. Photographs might be added, too. So, the first entry of the journal I wrote:

Vordingborg, Denmark: The day before we all headed off, the in-laws dragged us off into Copenhagen. The last time I was here – for their wedding – I didn't get to see much. The in-law was determined this visit would be different. And it was. We took a tourist boat ride around the city. I took photo after photo after photo. That's the problem with digital cameras these days – you don't have to stop and consider if that shot is a waste of film. It was an entertaining day that ended with beers all round and a couple o' bottles of red. The next morning was another gorgeous if cool day. I didn't think we'd all fit into the Citroen with luggage, but we did. And so, car stuffed to the rafters, my sister, her husband, two kids and me took off for the ferry from Denmark to Germany. All went remarkable well. We thought we'd missed the 7.00 am boat, that the boarding closed a scant ten minutes before we turned up. But a few minutes later we were guided on board. Woo hoo! Duty free! The ferry crossed on smooth, glass-like water, though the distant smudge of beige on the horizon reminded me of just how populated Europe is.

Germany: We drove straight off the boat and eventually found the autobahn. S., niece number one got on with her French homework, but little A, niece number two, at seven is a handful. Fortunately, the car had a sunroof and we watched the contrails of planes criss-cross the sky; it's scary how close they fly and how many are up there zipping around. I'm sure it's all a matter of perspective. Germany is beautiful – but I didn't expect anything else. Rolling hills, farmland, verdant forests, BMWs speeding by doing 200kph only to be overtaken by Mercedes...

Holland: It's tough being in a car with people. I spent some time chatting to my brother-in-law about what I hoped to find out about the family tree in London, Lincoln, Burnley and Ireland. What my research has so far found kept the kids occupied for some time and kids ask questions. Outside, the fields were yellow or green with new crops. Flat land and dykes for irrigation. Flying over it is magical; driving through it, not so much.

Belgium/Ghent: finally, our day's destination, Ghent. A medieval city with cobblestone streets, a magnificent castle and canals. Only one
significant problem: all the one way signs. I'm guessing they don't want casual tourists, otherwise they wouldn't make it so difficult to get around. But once there, oh, boy, it's definitely worth it. I have to say the cobblestones are wicked on the feet. We only stayed overnight, on the second floor of the Ghent youth hostel, but I spent a lot of time taking, oh, a few photographs. Worse thing was I couldn't get my cash card to work! Bummer... I had to rely on the money I already had in my wallet. My sister kept casting worried glances at me, and no wonder...

Tomorrow, I'll post more; and I have to continue the story over at the other blog, and a ton of other stuff I have to catch up on.

That's the thing about travelling, you feel a little out of touch when you return because stuff has happened in your absence. Old news, is new news to you, but... I'm slowly catching up.

No comments: