Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Work avoidance

We all do it. We know we have to do something, whether it is housework, letter writing, blog posting, shopping, whatever...

I'm avoiding work right now. I have a miserable assignment on 'contrasting meditative and descriptive styles' and 'the effectiveness of onomatopoeia'. Then there's the effects of verb usage. Oy...

Then there's the editing I've neglected. Yeah, I've had plenty of time and I've got plenty of excuses. I even know it's unprofessional of me. The worst of the excuses is that I've got 'plenty of time'. Say what? Plenty of time? I don't think so. Sure, I can write a book and a half in a month, Nano is good for getting off the butt to create. But edit the damn thing? I had fun writing, but editing means looking closer. Studying every word, every sentence, every paragraph, following the plot, the characters, dissecting what I've written. I don't think writers like to do that.

Oh, for the ability to write the perfect novel straight up. Unfortunately, I'd be permanently wearing smug.

Editing takes time. It takes focus. It takes a good grounding in language skills. It can sometimes suck the joy right out of writing.

On the other hand, it can surprise. After you've rested your great work (and you know it's great because of the feeling of satisfaction you had when you wrote 'the end') you'll go back and read it. I'll bet you've come across something you've written you don't remember typing, and thinking 'wow, that's great'. It's that something special that keeps us going, even if it's only us who know about it.

I have to remember that. When I look at the ream of paper I've put through the printer and think 'omg, that's a lot', I have to remind myself that, while I'm by no means a brilliant author, I've always come across passages that just work so well, I'm astonished. We all have those moments, and if you don't admit that, even to yourself, you're in denial.

The reason I've posted this is because I've had a request from a friend to read more of my work and I know damn well the book he wants has a sucky beginning - I can't seem to get beginnings right - and I have to do something about it.

So. Enough work avoidance. I'll just keep telling myself: I have no right to keep my imagination to myself... I have no right...

No comments: