Saturday, February 25, 2006

Stuff

I took a phone call this week letting me know my desk had arrived. Yep, a full six weeks early. I did not jump for joy, nor did I panic. It was more of an 'oh, shit' moment. Why? I figured I had plenty of time to move things around before it arrived. Let's remember this is 1.77 metres wide, or nearly six feet; no small thing.

I'm looking at where the desk is supposed to go, and there is no way it's gonna fit; not unless I do some heavy work. My current desk is four feet wide; on one side is a four foot wide bookcase, filled with, well, books. On the other is a seven and a half foot wall unit. On the outside of the bookcase and the unit are power points. On the other side of the unit power point, is a doorway and another bookcase. Yeah, it's a long room. The facing wall has built in shelves along it's length and doors grace each end of the room leading to outside.

What to do?

The only thing I can: shift furniture. The easiest way is to replace the bookcase with one of my smaller ones - the three foot one. Of course, I've got to take out the books in each, shift the cases, then reload. Just looking at it all is depressing, but the desk, oh, the desk is worth it.

To add to all this is the delivery of thirteen more books I ordered. That leaves about four somewhere out there in Aussie Post land. I think I'm going to need another bookcase...

No comments: