Thursday, August 18, 2005

Going Home

This is my first effort at blogging. I have blogs that read daily, so I thought I'd join the hordes. Whether this blog gets read or not is of no concern to me. This is my space; where I can rant and rave, gloat, comment, question, answer or simply post.

The title of my weblog, Homeward Bound, refers to a situation that I'm sure a lot of people find themselves in: that of doing things because others expect them to, not you expect of yourself. What follows can be guilt and frustration at going against your inner self, or a kind of fatalism, that doing something - or being someone - is a small thing to keep the peace or the comments to a minimum.

You're not being fair to yourself. And here's why:

Why sacrifice your dreams to be someone you're not? Your folks want you to be a lawyer, doctor, mechanic, house painter - or any other occupation - while you want to be a secretary, a nurse, a writer, an artist, hell, an accountant! There's nothing wrong with any of these occupations... as long as it's what you want.

For me, I went to University and got a degree in journalism so I could get a well paying job. I got that job and, yes, it paid a lot, but it wasn't - quite - what I wanted. It was respectable, it was challenging, it was lucrative, it was high-powered and I hated it. So I jumped ship. Now, I'm small fry, with a job that doesn't make too many demands on while I pursue what I've always wanted - to write fiction.

If I never get published, that will be fine, because I'm doing what makes me happy. Isn't it about time you did what made you happy?

No comments: