Friday, October 13, 2006

Barbeque Season!

And I don't mean getting out the Weber and smokin' some steaks!

I mean it's early October and already the temperature has bumped over 30 degrees. There is nothing worse than having a busy day and being roasted by the sun at the same time. Oh, sure, air-conditioning is wonderful thing, but only if you're inside enjoying it, and only if people keep the damn doors shut.

Again, today, was nigh on 35 degrees celcius. Bad ju-ju for me. I spent all day in town; the car needed a long and involved service. I'm not the kind of woman who enjoys shopping. I'm a hunter/gatherer. That is, I make a list of things to hunt and I go out and gather it. I don't spend time browsing or umming and ahhing, I go git the varmints, and I'm outta there.

With school holidays, it makes the job that much more worse. Squealing, hot kids, tired, disgruntled parents; what an awful way to spend a hot and sticky day.

I did get some Christmas shopping done, though. Nearly done, in fact, and the car goes great now. There's a slight breeze here on the coast which makes it bearable.

I'd love to go to the beach tomorrow, bare my chubbiness paleness to those sun worshippers, but I don't want to cause any heart-failures and fainting (that would be the sharks, not the people). I still have to finish this novella, too.

I think this summer is going to be atrocious and now is the time for me to take some measures in case the bush fire season returns. Partly done, of course: I've got my Bushfire Fighter Certificate, and I'll be running around tomorrow morning clearing gutters and any debris around the house. Next weekend, I'll shop for a generator - in case of power failure - and a barbeque kit should the power fail for a few days like it did a couple of years ago.

Maybe I should move to Tasmania; nice and cool down there almost all year around. Sigh.

No comments: