Thursday, November 22, 2007

Work rate

I got to the keyboard early this morning. Not because of last night's thunderstorm - though that was a disappointment - but because it was raining.

I've always thought of myself as a 'seasonal' writer; that is, I write more during winter and the cooler months than I do during summer. And now I can prove it.

Since June, I've kept a weather station to check on temperature and rainfall for virtually every day. From my database for November, I can see that the high word counts fall on days when it has been cool and/or rainy, the lower ones, when it's been hot.

I'm also an afternoon writer, with my morning counts abysmal, but rocketing up in the afternoon and evening.

Now, you might be wondering 'so what?', but it tells me I can take mornings off if necessary - and they have been - without putting too much of a dent in my word counts. It also means, I can sleep in, though I don't. But if I needed to, I could.

I also find the statistics interesting. So today, I'm busily beavering away and closing in on the 150k mark. Which means at the moment, I have to end this part of the story and present the more dangerous and devastating realisation that my protags have been set up. Much mayhem then, as they try to escape in order to save the world. Though how they're going to do that, I haven't quite worked out. Something spectacular and sudden, I hope.

No comments: