Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hunting the ancestors

I've got a day off today, so I decided to do more research on the tree.

So far, I can trace the family back to about 1601. I say about because obviously records are hard to come by and I have to rely on other peoples' trees to match with mine.

Four hundred years of history. It's a lot to think about.

For me to be, various ancestors had to survive the English Civil War, the Restoration, the Black Plague, various wars against the Scots and Irish, the Industrial Revolution, various wars against France, sailing halfway around the world in sailing ships, the First and Second World Wars and probably a lot of other stuff, just so I could be here.

I can still do more: there is a family tree I so want to connect to. It will take my tree back to about 700 AD, and wouldn't that be a blast! Gosh, only 900 years of tracking to do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's really cool! the only thing I really know about my family tree is that I relate back to Jesse James and Frank James. That's pretty cool.

Happy tree hunting!

Jaye Patrick said...

Being connected to the James' brothers is pretty cool in itself! I've yet to come up with anyone famous in the tree - although, so far, the tree starts with... Rocks! Samuel Rock and William Rock and Elizabeth Rock and so on.