Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Challenging

My characters are real to me; as any other writer’s characters should be.

Currently, I get the feeling that the NaNo characters aren’t quite sure about what they should be doing, are a little hesitant. This is not a good thing, because what they eventually do or say won’t seem genuine.

I suspect they know what’s coming up and aren’t entirely sure it’s appropriate. My job, then, it is to make it so. To set them up and direct them to the ending that needs to be.

Why? Because the ending of the first book is the precursor to the beginning of the second book. I have to have a reason for the first book to end a particular way otherwise the beginning of the next will be an eye-rolling one.

I don’t want that; I want people to wonder what happened. A cliff hanger without being a cliff hanger. Difficult writing to be sure, but have I ever resisted a writing challenge?

No comments: