Saturday, September 09, 2006

Edits

More edits. I've just finished going through Demonesque. I split the book in two so it would fit on my editor's board. Now I have both halves sitting on it.

One half is full of tags and sticky notes and sticky arrows; the other half has one arrow. That's it. Just the one. A small red one. But it speaks volumes.

The first half has stuff that will need minor re-writing. The tags are small inserts, the sticky notes are larger inserts and the arrows, in different colours, are for me to look at and decide what to do with the scene.

The second half arrow? The red arrow of doooommmm. It signifies two empty chapters. That's right two; they're just chapter numbers followed by blank space. At sometime during a previous edit, I decided those two chapters needed rewriting because of some reason I can't remember. I think it had something to do with making the book too complex or too long.

So. I'll have to put in the edits I have, then go back scene-by-scene, line-by-line and test the whole manuscript to see if what those chapters can contain. My notes there don't make a lot of sense. Who knows what I was thinking, but it's going to take me longer than expected to finish it all.

Ah, well. I like the book anyway, so I'll have at it. Not now, though. It's late and I need to retire for the night. Tomorrow, I'll get back to it.

No comments: